Post may include affiliate links. We may earn a fee if you use them at no cost to you. Disclosure.
OwlCrate Jr is a children’s books subscription box that delivers newly published hardcover novels, fun themed toys, and other fun stuff related to the book’s theme. OwlCrate Jr is designed for kids age 8-12, while their other subscription box, OwlCrate is best for kids age 14+. In this OwlCrate Jr review, I will go over OwlCrate Jr in detail so you can decide if it would be right for your family!
OwlCrate Jr is an excellent way for kids to get excited about reading new books, while also getting some cool goodies in the mail each month! OwlCrate Jr sends children’s books of all genres, with items like posters, stickers, 3D building sets, slime, book covers, umbrellas and more!
OwlCrate Jr is great for any child who loves reading but is also a great way to get your kid excited about reading! It’s such a great way to draw kids away from the TV, video games, and tablets! (Something I know a lot about because one of my kids is definitely a gamer!)
I’m so excited to share that I partnered with OwlCrate Jr so I could offer you an exclusive discount code! You can save 15% off with code RACHEL15!
What makes OwlCrate Jr a unique children’s book subscription box?
One of the things I always look for when reviewing a product is uniqueness. What’s unique about OwlCrate Jr is that each month the box has a specific theme and the boxes are made up of a book and some goodies!
This means that if your kid is a already a bookworm, they will have an amazing book to read and fun things to go along with it! If they are a budding bookworm (or you want to encourage them to be one), they will have some fun goodies to entice them into reading the included book!
We have gotten two boxes so far and the themes were:
- Science is Magic!
Each box includes a newly released book perfect for 8-12 year olds, and some surprise goodies that fit perfectly with the theme. These goodies did a great job of encouraging my reading to embrace the theme and dive deeper!
What’s in an Owlcrate Jr Box?
My son and I were so surprised by what came in the boxes! It was such a cool unexpected mix of stuff and I thought it was fun to see him surprised by each item!
But maybe… the best part was how the whole family seemed to get in on it! My oldest of course loved the books and picked out his favorite goodies… but then he gave his siblings and me some of the rest! There was enough in each box that he shared some with the whole family which in turn got everyone super excited about the book and the theme too!
Here’s what our boxes so far contained…
- Amira & Hamza: The War to Save the Worlds by Samira Ahmed (We got an exclusive signed OwlCrate Jr edition! The covers for these are gorgeous!)
- Author letter from Samira Ahmed
- Wrinkle in Time-inspired Umbrella (designed by Stephani Stilwell) – This umbrella was no joke! It was beautiful but also amazing quality. Even my son mentioned how sturdy it felt! The umbrella alone could be worth $30.
- His Dark Materials-inspired Enamel Pin (designed by Stacey McEvoy Caunt)
- Wild Robot-inspired Fabric Book Cover (designed by Shafer Brown) – Aside from the umbrella, I think my son was most excited about this.
- Magic School Bus-inspired Lanyard (designed by Breanna Christie)
- Ooze Lab Science Slime (from Thames & Kosmos) – I’ve never met a kid who didn’t love slime!
- ‘Science is Magic’ Collectible Sticker (designed by Cade Roach of Hey Atlas Creative)
- The Nightsilver Promise by Annaliese Avery (Exclusive OwlCrate Jr edition)
- Author letter and signed bookplate from Annaliese Avery
- Reversible dust jacket art by Alyssa Winans
- The Hobbit-inspired Ceramic Mug (designed by Cara Kozik) – Aside from the book, this was definitely his favorite!
- 3D Dragon Puzzle Kit (from Eugy) – This was such a fun activity for the kids to make together!
- How to Train Your Dragon-inspired Keychain (designed by Four Seasons Fox)
- Dragon’s Egg Bath Bomb (from Whipped Up Wonderful) – He gave me this one! It smelled amazing!
- Wings of Fire Bookmark (from Scholastic)
- ‘Dragons’ Collectible Sticker (designed by Izzy Evans)
We absolutely loved how different the two themes were. The suspense when we opened the box was really exciting too!
If your kid is an avid reader, or you’re gifting this to a kid who is, you might be concerned that they are going to get a book they have already read.
Not to fear!
The books included are published less than 2 months from when the box is shipped so you know they are getting a brand new book. Plus, the books are either standalone stories or the first in a new series so they can jump right in!
With so many fun goodies in the box, and a brand new thick book, my happy camper stayed happy for a long while!
How Do Subscriptions Work?
You can either gift a subscription or purchase one for your kids. You can choose either a monthly subscription, or a pre-paid 3 or 6 month plan.
Once you sign up, they will start shipping you boxes between the 15th and 20th of each month.
In addition to the subscription box, you can also select special add-on items at an additional cost. These will ship separately.
And if you want additional boxes, or just want to purchase one or two boxes before subscribing, you can also order past boxes individually!
How much does OwlCrate Jr Cost?
A monthly subscription to OwlCrate Jr costs $29.99 a month plus shipping and you can save a bit when you prepay for 3 or 6 months!
Based on the two boxes we’ve received so far, I’m confident that this is a great price for everything OwlCrate Jr. includes!
Here’s a rough breakdown using the Dragons themed box as an example…
- Average price of a hardcover book is about $19.00
- Average price of a decent umbrella is about $15.00
That already brings us to $34.00 and we haven’t even accounted for the enamel pin, fabric book cover, lanyard, slime, collectible sticker or letter from the author!
On top of that, you can save even more if you use my coupon code…
OwlCrate Jr Coupon Code
Want to save on OwlCrate Jr? Use my discount code RACHEL15 to save 15% off!
So is OwlCrate Jr worth it?
Definitely yes! Whether you have a kid who is already obsessed with books, or you want to get your kid away from a screen and into books, OwlCrate Jr is going to be a great monthly treat!
OwlCrate Jr isn’t just a children’s book subscription box – it’s a surprise themed experience and everything included is top quality (many of the items are made by small businesses and artists)!