Post may include affiliate links. We may earn a fee if you use them at no cost to you. Disclosure.
Everything you need to know to organize your nightstand including some of the best budget-friendly nightstand organization products!
Are you looking for a way to organize your nightstand?
Nightstands can quickly become cluttered with items that don’t belong. This makes it difficult to find what you need when you need it.
On top of that most, nightstands are fairly small so they quickly become full and start to overflow!
I don’t know about you but I need my bedroom to be especially neat and organized otherwise I don’t find it relaxing. Keeping nightstands neat and organized is a really great first step to having a very calm and relaxing bedroom.
We recently moved and while we could have just moved our nightstands as-is, my husband and I decided that it was the perfect time to organize our nightstands!
In this post, I’m going to share how we organized them and the best nightstand organization products I found!
Use these tips and products to organize your nightstand so you can find what you need, when you need it, make your bedroom more relaxing, and reduce clutter!
Check out these tips and products for organizing your nightstand!
Quick Links to Information in this Post
How to organize your nightstand
Before we can talk about the best nightstand organization ideas, first we need to talk about how to organize your nightstand!
Because the best way to organize your nightstand is to first inventory what you have been, and what you will be, putting in your nightstand!
What works for me, or your neighbor, may not work for you. So let’s talk about how to go about this and then I’ll share some of my favorite nightstand organization ideas that might work for you too!
Here’s how you should organize your nightstand…
Step 1: Pull everything out!
Take everything out of your nightstands and lay them out somewhere like your bed. Before you can organize or buy any helpful organization systems, it’s important to first see what you’re working with!
Step 2: Inventory your nightstand stuff
Now it’s time to take an inventory! Look over what you have pulled out from your nightstand and ask yourself these questions:
- What items belong somewhere else?
- What items do you not need anymore and can toss, donate, or sell?
- What do you use every day and need in your nightstand?
- What would you like to store in your nightstand but don’t use as much?
Step 3: Sort, Toss and Donate!
Now it’s time to start thinking about what you want to put back on your nightstand! We’re not going to put anything back just yet – in this step you just want to make some decisions and remove anything that won’t be going back into your nightstand.
Remember those questions from earlier? Now you’re going to act on them!
What do you use every day while in bed and want quick access to?
For example, some things I use every day or need quick access to are my glasses, homemade calendula balm, hair oil, hairbrush, mouth guard, hair wrap, and phone charger.
I also have a few other things stored in my nightstand like a small notebook, heating pad (I’m getting old!), iPad, and extra chargers. These are things that I don’t need quick access to but occasionally want when I’m in bed.
Figure out what you want to keep in your nightstand and what you need the easiest access to. Group them. Then remove anything else that doesn’t fit into one of those categories.
Step 4: Assess what you plan to put back!
Now take a look at what you have left. How do you want to put it back? How should you organize it? Scroll down and look over my favorite nightstand organization suggestions to see which might help you organize what you need to put away!
Step 5: Purchase helpful organization products and put everything away!
Now just order what you like from my list below and then put everything away once your organization’s products arrive!
Tips for Organizing Your Nightstand
- Switch from a tabletop lamp to a floor lamp, sconce, or overhead lighting so you have one less thing cluttering your nightstand!
- Use organization products on and in your nightstand that help you create a dedicated spot for every item. When you have a dedicated space, it becomes much easier to put things back where they belong!
- I love small baskets and pretty jars for my nightstand. These products help to make it easy to grab what I need while still looking pulled together and organized!
- Move your charging cables inside your top drawer or add charging cable clips on the outside of your nightstand to keep your cable from always falling on the floor.
- Trays are great for holding glasses, jewelry, rings, and other small items. They are much safer and easier to spot on a tray than loose in or on your nightstand.
- Add labels to your drawer if you often forget what goes where after you organize so your hard work doesn’t get undone quickly! You can hide these labels under trays and baskets if you’d like so they aren’t seen but can still be referenced!
- Consider getting a tiny but pretty trash bin to put next to your nightstand for things like makeup wipes and tissues so they don’t sit on your nightstand which is both gross and ugly!
- Add a drawer liner to your drawers to make cleaning them out super easy! Just remove your organizers, trays, and baskets, then lift out the liner and then pour any dirt into a trash can. You can then reuse the liner or get a new one!
SAFETY TIP: Add a flashlight to your nightstand if you don’t already have one and make sure it’s easy to get too! That way if you ever lose power and are in the dark you know exactly where to find one.
Best Nightstand Organization Products
Best nightstand top organizers
These are some of my favorite nightstand decor and organization products specifically for the top of your nightstand. I think it's best to keep your nightstand top as bare as possible but it's just so tempting to keep a few things on the top. So, if you feel like you MUST have a few things on your tabletop, here are some of my favorite options:
Beautiful Nightstand Decor
If you do a great job of keeping stuff off the top of your nightstand (which is ideal!) you're going to want to add some pretty items to it that add some warmth and personality without cluttering the space. Here are some great options!
Best nightstand charging stations and accessories
These days we all have smartphones that need to be charged nightly! So... here are some really great options! These are some of my favorite phone charging options that are practical and beautiful!
Best nighstand baskets
If your nightstand has a shelf or deep drawers, you're going to want some baskets! Here are some really pretty options! Every nightstand is built different so please measure your shelf and drawers before ordering any baskets and then check the dimensions of these baskets to make sure they will fit before ordering!
Best nightstand drawer organizers
You're going to want some sort of divider for your nightstand drawers! That way you have a dedicated spot for everything that belongs in your drawer. Without dedicated spots, you're likely to put things in the wrong spot or worse - start cluttering up your drawers again which will just lead to a mess. By having dividers, you know what does and doesn't belong in your drawer and where it should be! It also helps you know what's missing! Here are some great optiosn.
Best nighstand liners
If your nightstand is older, you want to freshen it up, add some personality, or you want to add a liner to make cleaning the drawer easier... here are some great options!
I hope these tips and recommendations help! If you have any questions, comment below or shoot me an email!